Wednesday, August 28, 2013

MONTCLAIR’S CASEY JONES GETTING READY FOR SAN DIEGO BOAT RACE!




1-888-Oil-Twins


For Further Information, contact the Oil Twins:  1-888-Oil-Twins

MONTCLAIR’S CASEY JONES GETTING READY FOR SAN DIEGO BOAT RACE!

(August 28, 2013, Montclair, CA)  Earlier this month, Montclair, California’s Casey Jones, one half of the Amsoil Oil Twins, made his boat racing debut at Long Beach Marine Stadium.  Since then, the affable driver has had time to sit back and reflect with Scott Daloisio on that first, exciting outing and what he expects at his next race in San Diego coming up in September.

S.D.: First race ever in a boat a few weeks ago.  How did you go about getting yourself prepared for that race having never done it before?

C.J.: In my opinion, racing is 90% mental.  So, I listened to the people around me.  Going into it, I envisioned practices.  I would picture me going into the corner and what I needed to do.  Look for flags and look for people.  I just kind of ran through the racecourse in my head just trying to prepare myself for the actual race.  That was just preparing myself.  Then there was the boat.  We got out there on Friday, got it all together and found out I could do some testing.  So I was scrambling trying to get the boat all together and then get it inspected by APBA inspectors.  It had to meet specifications to get passed.  It passed and we got everything together and got it out there and did about six laps before we had to put it away when they had to close the course for the day.  That was the first time Miss Amsoil hit the water and the first time I had ever been in it.  Everything ran great in practice.


Casey Jones in action at Long Beach Marine Stadium.

S.D.: You prepared yourself mentally and you prepared the boat.  How would you, being a new guy, describe the water conditions and how were the more seasoned veterans describing them?

C.J.: To me, the water conditions were fine.  I did not have any problems with Miss Amsoil getting loose in the straightaway or swapping back and forth.  Other people said it is a tough venue.  Your wakes come back and reverberate.  They bounce off the side and come back at you.    You have to deal with that chop that is coming.  With the hull that Ernie Dawe built me and with the setup of the boat, to me the boat performed great. 

S.D.: The course was 7/8 of a mile long, correct?

C.J.: It is a long course for a small boat, about a mile.

S.D.: Looking at video, it seemed like the straights were long and the turns were extremely tight.  Did that provide any problem for you?

C.J.: It was on my mind!  In the heat race where I placed second, I intended on being on the outside on the start.  As a rookie you have to start on the outside in the back until you are cleared for full competition.  But, when the boats came around I ended up on the inside lane.  This was on Sunday, in the first heat of the day in the ASH class.

S.D.: On the inside of how many other boats?

C.J.: I was on the inside and I had about six boats out there somewhere besides me and I ended up hitting turn one first.  So I had to back off the gas so I could dig the boat in and make the turn because I did not want to be that rookie who missed the turn and wiped out half the field.

S.D.: Since you are talking about the start, the starts are not like in a stock car race where you come down side by side to the green flag.  It is more of a timed thing just to get to the line, correct?

C.J.: Yeah, you kind of get out there and warm up the boat and you have to watch for the white flag.  When the flagman puts out the white flag, that starts the one minute timer.  This is where experience comes in.  You need know your boat and where you need to be at when it is time.  You line up in turn three and turn four and you want to be wide open going down the straightaway.  The ultimate goal is to be at top speed when you hit the starting line and it is at 0 seconds on the clock.  That is what your goal is.

S.D.:  How did that work out for you?

C.J.: That is a learning curve.  In that race, it worked out all right.  I was in the back, but I had enough power in Miss Amsoil to catch these guys.  The boat was not a problem.  Well, there were some issues with electronics, but the boat handled very well.   It was very fast for me.  I bumbled around trying to figure out who I should follow going to the clock and engage where I should be at.  Two times when I slowed down enough waiting for the pack to show up, the motor stalled out.  That is why I had some DNF’s.  That was Saturday.  Come Sunday morning we had the ASH races.  I got out there and was toodling around and was cutting the course waiting for the other boats to come around and the motor died.

S.D.: How frustrating was that having to miss races when you were on the course?

C.J.: I call it focusing in on my driver development.  I don’t want to be that guy who throws his helmet on the beach and kicks his boat. God wants to teach me humility and learn how to handle these situations, I take it with a grain of salt.  It is frustrating sitting out there and everyone is doing circles and there is nothing they can do about you.  I lost two entire races because they went back to back and I did not get to race at all in that class that day.  That is why I took fifth.

S.D.: How were your finishes?

C.J.: The best finish I had was Sunday in the heat race (2nd).  I only had two other ones.  There was actually 14 boats that raced the ASH class.  The top four out of each heat went directly to the main and they only took two out of the last chance race.  I got 300 points in my heat race and that actually carried me over enough (even though he missed the other two races) where I placed ninth overall out of 14.  Racing is woulda, coulda, shoulda and that is fine, but we could have been seriously competitive if the motor had not had the electronic problems. 

S.D.: The electronic problems had to be so frustrating.  How are you going about preventing them at the next race?

C.J.: My crew chief Andy Jones (Casey’s twin brother) and I are focusing on getting the motor reliable.  We figured out what is what is wrong with it.  It was electronic related and we are getting that fixed.  The focus is not on how fast we can go.  The focus is on starting and finishing races and learning clock management (hitting the start finish line at the right time).  Everything else is going to come in time.


Crew chief Andy Jones, left, and his twin brother and the driver Casey on the right.

S.D.: In addition to racing, you also sponsor some other boat racers, correct?

C.J.: The AMSOIL – Oil Twins had four drivers in the top 10 in the ASH class. One driver took a podium in the ASH class and two drivers took a podium in the AXH class.

S.D.: Was this the first foray in boat racing sponsorship for the Oil Twins?

C.J.: No, we have been involved with them over the last three races.  We just went to the races, but didn’t have a race boat. We are pretty proud of the racers we sponsor. I had some guy - a nice guy - tell me I can’t run my oil the way I am running it.  He is telling you have got to run more oil and this and that.  Listen, I am running AMSOIL and I do not need to run more oil. 

S.D.: Your next race is at San Diego in September.  What do you want to accomplish down there?

C.J.: Basically the reliability of the motor, keeping it running for three laps.  That is the main focus right now.  We want to track down the exact cause of the electrical failure and correct it.  We do not want to throw a bunch of stuff at it and assume that it is fixed.  We want to know for sure that we fixed it.  I have taken the steps necessary to get the tools and the equipment in to diagnosis that motor and go through it.  That is going to happen.  We are looking forward to finishing races.  That is the goal at San Diego.  To finish the race.

S.D.: Most important thing of all.  Did you have a good time?

C.J.: We had a great time.  I was talking to a guy today and I said, ’put things in perspective.  You are sitting in the middle of a race course and your boat is not running, but hey, you are sitting in the middle of a race course.’  Everyone else is on the sidelines, but you are there racing.  I had to be towed in three times, but I was racing.  By the way, thanks to my buddies from SeaTow for bringing me in.  They are one of my AMSOIL customers.  There is a SeaTow in Lake Havasu and there is one in Huntington

S.D.: Time to thank the people who helped you.

C.J.: Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, my wife  Ava, AMSOIL - OilTwins.com, Lifeline Race Gear, Jennings Racing, David and Dan Doidge, Knufamily Racing, Chino Signs Plus, Perris Auto Speedway and SeaTow.  Also have to thank my brother Andy and Steven “Bam Bam” Fangmeyer. They were in the pits getting things ready and getting things prepped.  Andy has already been all over this electrical problem with this motor.  He has done research and he is an animal on this thing.  I think Andy is more into it than I am.  He is amped about this thing and I am amped to see him so excited about it.  His support makes it a lot easier. 

For more information or to order quality Amsoil Products from the Montclair, California based Oil Twins, please visit their website at www.oiltwins.com or give them a call at 888-OIL-TWINS.

This piece was produced by Scott Daloisio Sports: (909) 226-7768, mailto:sdaloisiosports@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment